Saturday, 4 August 2012

What I Wore


As you asked so nicely, here I am wearing my newest dress! I wore it to work today. Apologies for the rubbish photos - A is off on a stag do in Oxford so I had to take my own again. These are the best of a wonky and poorly-lit bunch. Bah!
Dress, £45 - Raiders Vintage

A bit awkward but I quite like how long my fingers look - clearly I'm neither Photographer nor Model material!

You can see it's a little snug at the bust, but I'm going to get a minimiser bra just as soon as I can face the fresh hell that is bra shopping. (Does anyone else hate it? I always end up trying on about 20 then giving up as either none of them fit or they give me a weird shape.)

This dress is so very 1950s, if you know what I mean. I want to call it Atomic but I don't think it is really. The pattern would make great wallpaper  - I love the teal-y blue background and there are so many unusual colours in it to. I just couldn't leave this one behind. I got it from Raiders Vintage - I've noticed that the 1950s dresses in my size are being bought up quite quickly from there and there have been a couple of dresses that I've gone back to take a better look at and found they've sold. There was no way I was letting that happen to this dress, so I put a deposit on it and paid the rest after payday. They'll keep things on deposit for up to a month - I can see it having a bad effect on my bank balance.

In other news, I've started writing a Vintage Guide to Liverpool. I've been looking for a comprehensive one online for ages, but can't find one so I thought "Sod it, I'll write my own!" It's going to be a slow process because quite frankly I want it to be good, very good even perhaps and it's going to be quite detailed. I'm probably going to do one shop per post. I'm looking forward to it and the first post should be up in the next week.

Also, hopefully tomorrow I will make it to a Car Boot and bring home lots of treasure. It had better be on because I've taken the day off work to go! I haven't been to one in weeks because of all the rain.

Anyway, that's enough for now, I need me tea (read that in your best Scouse accent)!

Ta ta!

Nikki x

7 comments:

  1. What do you mean? These photos are fine! I would have used the word atomic too. Vintage guide to Liverpool - yes please! I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to shops as I rarely go into the city centre these days and buy everything online and in charity shops x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you're looking forward to the guide, it was really bugging me that there wasn't one already. I've not had much luck buying vintage online of late myself.

      x

      Delete
  2. It looks gorgeous on, but I must object to you sharing the fact that this Raiders place allows deposits and items to be held! Now we'll all be skint!

    I braved bra buying today, I think I have finally found a suitable strapless/halter bra which doesn't hurt/create weird back flab/fall down. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Raiders is great - when they told me they did deposits I knew I was screwed :)

      I know of only one specific bra range that fits me and doesn't give an odd shape, so I just have several of those. They are boring. I can't remember the last time I wore a strapless bra - they're a nightmare. Good luck with yours!

      x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for showing us the frock. It looks wonderful on you. There are hardly any 1950's cotton dresses here in Australia. I was in a vintage shop that sells some the other day & they were priced at over $300! Eeeekkkk! I doubt I'll ever stumble across one at a thrift shop. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! That is so expensive. £45 is my max for a day dress and I'll only pay that if I absolutely love it and there are no flaws. I've yet to see a 1950s dress in a charity shop but I live in hope.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this frock!!!
    Not quite sure what a scouse accent sounds like though....!!!X

    ReplyDelete