Thursday, 9 August 2012

Another Haul!

Here's the last haul from my Second-Hand Shopping spree. I walked down to the charity shops at the end of our road on Tuesday and didn't do too badly at all. Mostly books this time though:

Uncle Tom's Cabin by H. Beecher Stowe and Faraway Island by Angus MacVicar
I'm sure A's mum has recommended Uncle Tom's Cabin to me before so I thought I'd pick it up. Faraway Island just seemed like a nice children's book that needed a new home (look here too see what the dust cover was like - isn't it fab?).



Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
 Another Bancroft Classic! With a particularly trippy cover - woohoo! Yeah, there was no way I was leaving this behind!



Bernese Adventure by Jane Shaw
I love the cover on Bernese Adventure and the blurb on the book reminded me a bit of an Enid Blyton mystery story.


Texas Trouble by Grant Maxwell
Texas Trouble - just sooo 1950s, so of course I took it home.


The Story of Nelson - Vintage Ladybird Book
Vintage Ladybird Books always come home with me - especially the over-loved ones. I can't help myself. Plus I learn so much from them!

Choose Your Own Adventure and Mystery Books
I loved books like this when I was a kid, so I got these out of pure nostalgia for those days when I used to sit with pen and paper working out the puzzles in a book (and then occasionally cheating and looking up the answers).


Care Bears Annual
The rule is that anything I remember watching as a kid comes home with me and I watched a helluva lot of Care Bears cartoons. I'm pretty sure either my sister or I had this annual the first time round.

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
I watched the Night Watch on BBC iPlayer the other day which is also by Sarah Waters. I've yet to read any of her books but I have seen the adaptation of Tipping the Velvet, which I loved and I do own Fingersmith on DVD too but I haven't gotten around to watching it so far.


T. G. Green Mixing Bowl
Another thing I have real difficulty leaving behind are big mixing bowls as they remind me of my Nan and they're so nice to use when baking. This is my first coloured one!


The Backstamp for those of you who are interested
It's a little worn but I don't mind - I can't get too many of these bowls though as they take up so much space and our kitchen is tiny!


Wool Blazer - £3.99

 I also got this lovely wool blazer for £3.99.






And look - it's a Pendleton! It's not a 49er unfortunately, but still a quality make. Not sure of the date of it - the label looks like the 1970s one judging by the Vintage Guild's Label Resource but I'm not sure it isn't more recent. I love it anyway though and it fits rather well.


That's all for my haul! It's a good job I've got one of those wheely granny bags. I feel like I've not done this well for ages so I'm super pleased. 

Last night A and I took photos for the first part of my Vintage Guide to Liverpool, so hopefully I'll get Part One up in the next few days.

TTFN

Nikki x

10 comments:

  1. Wow, you've done it again! I love all these books, especially Shakespeare Tales and the Care Bears Annual. It's funny I never really liked Care Bears as a kid but whenever I see anything like this I get all nostalgic xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blazer looks great, but especially I adooore that book about Lord Nelson!! I admire him so much, one of my favourite characters in history :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely finds! I have a pull along trolley too, to save my poorly back from completely giving up on me! It's blue with polka dots x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet more brill finds. I have the self same Shakespeare book...was a pressie when I was a kid. I read The Little Stranger a while back and it's terrific.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Bottom on the cover of the Shakespeare book and I know I had the Ladybird Nelson book when I was a kid! Mixing bowls are always a fab find, I even buy chipped ones at jumble sales for plant holders in the garden! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finds! I always look at the books too, and can't resist the kitsch dust covers on those 1950s novels.
    I really enjoyed The Little Stranger, but Fingersmith is my favourite of Sarah Waters' books.
    Great jacket too, that looks like real quality. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds, I specially like the bowl and the Pendleton is a great buy. I definitely had that Care Bears album myself, we must be a similar age!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fab finds! A woman after my own heart -- you go home and research your finds. Yeah, for wheely granny bags! It's been a long time since I had the charity shop hold a huge purchase so that I could go home and get my shopping trolley. Well done, especially the trippy Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete