Thursday, 23 August 2012

A Deviation from the 1950s*

I bet you didn't expect me to come away from my vintage research trip on Monday empty-handed. Well, you were right, but if you were expecting me to buy another 1950s dress (or dresses), you were mistaken.

I got this:
1970s Maxi - £15, Bullet
Isn't it lovely? And not remotely 1950s. I've mentioned this before, but I do love the 1970s and the 1960s - they were my first love when I got into vintage things as a teenager. It's just that my favourite decade at the moment is the 1950s, so I mainly dedicate my time and money to acquiring things from that era. I've been after some maxis for a while now for the summer - well, those occasional warm days we have here in the UK - but I've been having trouble finding cotton ones. I actually quite like polyester (for reasons already mentioned here) and own a few pretty poly dresses but I find it too hot to wear and I do not cope well in the heat. So when I saw this lovely I had to try it on. I did try a few others but this was the only one that fit, which was lucky as it was my favourite of the bunch.

Bodice Detail

The fabric is so pretty and I love the ruffle, which carries on to the back and the sweet little buttons.

Close-up of the buttons
It's mdefssssssssssssssss - sorry Juno just jumped on the keyboard. It's made by Carnegie of London, who I think were a pretty popular brand but I can't find out much about them. There are plenty of their dresses about on the internet though and they seem to have started in the 1950s.

I love it when people post the labels from their clothes (I know, I'm a geek), so here's the label:

Carnegie of London Label
I'm not sure when I'll be able to give it it's first outing - my 1950s dresses I can wear to work, so they get tons of wear, but this is probably a bit much for work. It'll have to be a nice, warm day too, but I'll post a pic when I do wear it.

I also got these placemats:

Placemats - £1 the lot, The Jumble People
I think they're placemats anyway, I thought they were hankies at first. There are 4 of the rectangular ones and 2 of these square ones which I guess are napkins:

Napkin
They look unused and I think they're 1950s, but I'm not sure. I love them though and at £1 for all of them they're a complete bargain.

So there you go - I'm not a complete decade snob after all!

The dress is quite 1930s-inspired though - don't you think?


Nikki x

*I'm listening to Just a Minute on BBC iPlayer, hence 'deviation'

17 comments:

  1. I am drooling a little now, Nikki - that dress is SO beautiful! You know I love a maxi, and Carnegie is a fab label. Look at the fabric-covered buttons! Look at the frills! The little flutter sleeves! Such lovely colours and flowers!
    See? Drooling, in a rather envious way. Not pretty, is it?! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's pretty much how I reacted when I first saw it too :)

      x

      Delete
  2. Clothing labels all the way! They are collectors items in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I need to make more of a record of the labels from my favourite clothes so I can keep an eye out for stuff from the same label. Especially as then you know the quality of the brand too.

      x

      Delete
  3. That dress is so sweet!!! I all the ruffley fluffles on the front. hheeheeh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love them too. I don't have any ruffles on my other clothes, so I think they might be my first ones lol!

      x

      Delete
  4. That is one beautiful maxi, Nikki! I'm drooling and have to keep going back to admire it's frilly fabulousness! Those napkins are very 1950s, I love that they're black. I'm a decade whore, too (as you can tell by my random boot sale buys!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's such a cheery dress too. I love the black on the napkins too - I've seen similar colourways on 1950s teasets, but not on fabric before.

      And I am so stealing 'decade whore'!

      x

      Delete
  5. That's a gorgeous dress, puts me in mind of Mildred Roper who wore some spectacular dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must remember to add George and Mildred to our rental list, as I've never seen it.

      x

      Delete
  6. That is a stunner, Nikki and such a good make. Just beautiful. I lov eth eplacemats too...anything with roses on it and I'm dribbling a bit.
    Have a great weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did think it was pretty good quality too. I'm the same with roses - especially blue ones - they're just so pretty.

      x

      Delete
  7. I'm totally in love with that dress! sooooo jealous and it's got a gorgeous 30s style print - bit like Minden by Royal Doulton! ooh so you're a Just A Minute fan too? I'm a radio 4/4extra fan in general xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I can see what you mean about the Minden - it is pretty similar. I love Radio 4 - especially Just A Minute (Paul Merton is amazing) and I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. While it certainly has a distinct 1970s feel to it, this beautiful dress (love the punchy palette of the flowers) also channels a 30s vibe, and I think could be made to look period appropriate (if you ever wanted) with the right shoes and accessories.

    Thank you very much for your lovely comment on my Saturday Snapshots post today, dear gal. I really appreciate it and hope you're having a gorgeous weekend!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. This maxi is GORGEOUS! Love the ruffle and the pretty delicate print. Can't wait to see you model it for us. Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous dress, I'm such a sucker for 70s dresses. I bet it's very flattering on, too.

    ReplyDelete