Friday, 27 July 2012

What I Wore and Random Vintage Tip Number Three

Dress - £20, Pop Boutique
Belt - ?, Charity Shop but from Matalan originally
(Back to doing my own photos again as A is out - humph)

I wore this dress to work today - it's another of my favourite dresses.  I love the illustration-y pattern which for some reason always makes me think of architectural details  and I love the bold colours (which match Penguin books perfectly - see this post) and the big patch pockets. When I first tried this dress on, I had difficulty working out which was the front of the dress and which was the back as the zip is at the side of the dress and the darting and neckline of the bodice is near identical on either side. Also I couldn't see a label on the dress.

When I had it on in the changing room, I thought it was a bit too small at the bust and the pockets were in an odd position. I bought the dress anyway because:


a.) it's amazing and I loved the pattern, 
b.) when would I ever see another one like it?  
c.) it was only £25,  
d.) it would probably be fine with a minimiser bra,
e.) I don't tend to keep a lot in my pockets anyway, so them being oddly placed wouldn't be a massive problem.

So I handed over my cash and it only ended up costing me £20 because I pointed out there was damage to the hem and it would need re-hemming. Hurrah!

Anyway, I tried it on again when I got home and suddenly it did fit perfectly and the pockets weren't in an odd place at all. I was a bit confused until I realised I must have had it on back-to-front in the shop. Clearly I am an idiot - especially as it turns out there is a very small European size label in the normal place (i.e. in the place you'd expect to find a label)! 


Pocketses! I love pockets
It didn't take me long at all to re-hem the dress either (even as a novice) as the hem had been unpicked rather than damaged and it was easy to put back to its original length. I was able to space my hand stitching really neatly due to the pattern on the dress - I used black thread and hid the stitches in the black stripes and they're pretty much invisible.

I had a quick check through the rest of my 1950s dresses and where the dress has a side zip it is on the left hand side of the dress as you wear it. In fairness, it is only this dress I've had that problem with - most of the others have labels or the necklines are different to the back of the dress, so it's fairly obvious which way round you should put it on.


So there you go, my tip is essentially "If it doesn't fit properly, check you've got it on the right way round" (you daft sod)!

Nikki x

P.S. The Mister didn't make Battenburg after all, but he did make me dinner last night (twice because we were still hungry) and tonight and he made Sangria too. So I'll forgive him :)

Also he messaged me  before to say there's a cake in the oven (apricot - delicious) and it looks like he's cleared the plugholes. He's much better at this housewife lark than me!

9 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous. I always used to find lovely dresses in Pop Boutique, and they're so reasonably priced. I love the giant retro lampshades and cushion covers in there too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've had some corkers from Pop Boutique and never paid more than about £35. I was talking to someone yesterday who pointed out that their repro line is only a bit cheaper than their vintage items and I know which I prefer! The lampshades are fab too, I really must pick one up (we already have too many cushions though).

      Nikki x

      Delete
  2. O,that's hilarious!
    It really is the most gorgeous frock!
    I adore that print,and I was noseying through your old posts and loved how it matches Penguins!Being able to do the most basic of sewing is sooo useful! I probably mess with hems more than anything else.
    Ha,my G is waaaay better at housewifery that I.And strangely good at flower arranging.X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I was made up when I spotted it matched the Penguins :)

      This is the first thing I mended myself and it definitely gave me the confidence to do more. Hemming is definitely going to be something I use quite a lot as I'm quite short.

      I've never been able to get the hang of flower arranging - it's a complete mystery to me!

      Nikki x

      Delete
  3. Another fabulous frock! I love the colour and the print - and I have been known to put a frock on backward and complain about the odd fit! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank god it's not just me - I felt a right pillock!

      Thank you - I was never a fan of orange before but how could I not be after a dress like this?


      Nikki x

      Delete
  4. That is a fab dress and I've also worn things backwards before now! Jon's the domesticated one in this house, too. Like Helga's G he's surprisingly good at flower arranging! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear that wearing things backwards is all the rage, but I'm not sure it's for me, haha! This dress is fabulous and such a great fit for you. It's hard to pass on a great one off isn't it?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from your new follower! I adore that frock. It is so pretty. I love the pattern, colour & cut. It looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete