Wednesday, 25 July 2012

A Re-instated Dress

Yesterday I mentioned I'd been mending dresses so I could re-instate them into my wardrobe and this is one of them. I wore it to work today.


1950s Dress - £27 from Pop Boutique maybe 3 years ago?
Luna getting involved again
000000000000000000000000000000000000 (Juno helping me blog there - this post is turning into a real team effort)

  
This is one of my favourite dresses (aren't they all? ahem) but I've not been able to wear it recently as I'd put a little weight on my bust and it got too tight. Luckily the bodice has a big overlap of fabric and the buttons aren't working ones, they're just sewn on, so I was able to gain a little room by removing the buttons and making the overlap smaller. I'm so happy to have it back in my wardrobe again - this is the first proper 1950s dress that I bought (I have a dress that I bought before this one but I didn't know it was 1950s at the time and I'm still not sure) and I love it so much. I love the shape and the massive skirt and the bold pattern and the colours and the buttons and the inexplicably enormous pocket as demonstrated here:

Not really sure what I'm supposed to keep in here but I can fit an A4 book in it
  
This is our yard by the way - well it's the yard we share with the downstairs flat and these stairs are our cat fire escape leading to our bedroom. If you've noticed the sudden improvement in photography it's because the photographer himself took these and he suggested the location too. If I ever get around to selling on Etsy I'll have to remember this valuable source of distressed wood for use as a backround.

My hair looks weird in these photos - it's sort of tucked into itself and pinned up at the nape of my neck.



Other things that happened today included me walking into a massive spider's web in the alley (twice) and screaming like a baby and walking around town after work with chocolate around my mouth (I'm hoping people thought it was a cold sore).

I also listened (via BBC iPlayer) to the bit on yesterday's Woman's Hour where they talked about vintage (and only that bit, I skipped all the other topics) but ended up turning it off as it was getting on my nerves for so many reasons. Did anyone else listen to it? It's up here on the BBC Website and starts 18 minutes in if you want to have a listen. If you're interested I listened to it whilst wearing my non-vintage pyjamas and ironing on my plain, non-floral Argos Value ironing board.

I'm linking this post to Lakota's Ta-dah! Tuesday as I mended my dress with my own fair hands and I'm proud (and also I just realised it qualifies :) )

Right, I'm off to find out what the dress code for feminists actually is and what the approved careers are...




Nikki x

Updated to add: The Mister just asked me to Google a recipe for Vegan Battenburg Cake as he's going to make it tomorrow while I'm at work. Staying at home and baking? - clearly he's not a feminist either! ;)

8 comments:

  1. That frock is GORGEOUS - the huge pockets are for carrying around: clothes pegs, bobby pins, some Bex, lippy and a hanky (and a flask of something medicinal!). Love the beautiful natural lights on those stairs - very flattering :) Sarah xxx PS I do hope you will consider removing the Word Verification from your comments - it's AWFUL and I just can't use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just had to Google Bex as I had no idea what it was. They're all very sensible suggestions. I don't own any pegs though as we don't have a washing machine (our washing is outsourced to A's parents).

      I've taken the Word Verification off now - I may not have entirely realised it was on... I'm not a fan of the things myself, I find them near impossible to read.

      Nikki x

      Delete
  2. Yes I was going to suggest pegs too (what wiv me bein an 'ousewife an all) but more practically it looks like it would be perfect for a small bottle of gin. Also if you'd like to come round and work your magic on several of my dresses AND a pair of expensive jeans which are now magically TOO SMALL, that would be great. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one for pegs and alcohol? How could I forget about the "Housewife's Gin Pocket"? :)

      It's a bugger when things shrink in the wash! To be honest I wouldn't trust myself with anyone else's stuff - I was lucky that it was so easy on this dress. If it was the waist that was too small I'd have been screwed as I'd have to dismantle the whole dress. I don't think there's much in the way of seam allowance either. I may even have had to take such desperate measures as dieting *shudder*. Maybe if I didn't eat all those cupcakes...

      Nikki x

      Delete
  3. It's a beautiful dress and so pretty on you. I'm also in love with your cat as he looks like one of mine. I haven't heard that radio programme but I'll give it a go. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's one of those dresses that makes me feel giddy to be wearing it. Luna looks all cute in photos but she's a bit of a monster really! Let me know what you think if you listen to it.

      Nikki x

      Delete
  4. EEEEEEEK!
    I adore your divine frock AND your kitty!!!
    Thank you for dropping by my blog,I'm so glad you did!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love your blog and thank you too for popping in here :)

      Nikki x

      Delete