Sunday, 3 June 2012

A Treasure from my Collection

Well my intention today was to tell you all about the lovely things I’d bought at the Car Boots but they were rained off (bloody weather!) so I couldn’t go. So instead I thought I’d share something I bought a few weeks ago and love.

I always judge a book by its cover  - I knew this one would be great!


It’s this book – The Lovers’ Travelogue by Raymond Peynet, printed in 1955 and I think it’s a First Edition.


In a nutshell it’s an illustrated book depicting a couple sightseeing around the world. The drawings are utterly charming, witty and eccentric and even a bit risqué (there’s a fair amount of breasts on show). Apparently Peynet’s Lovers (or Les Ameraux de Peynet) were incredibly popular in the 1950s, appearing on a vast array of merchandise and even having a song written in their honour!
"Let me come too, darling! I won't take up much room"

WAGONS-NIDS


Nest-class Sleepers

"Ah! How this music carries one away..."

PERSIA

U.S.A.


Lift Strike

Apologies if the Photos aren't too clear - the Photographer wasn't around to help!

How much did I pay? 50p - bargain! 

If you want to know more about Peynet, the official website is here and I found this obituary for him pretty informative too. Books of his illustrations are available to buy on Amazon and the like and there's merchandise available on the official website too.

What do you think? Are you as smitten as I am?

Nikki x

No comments:

Post a Comment