Monday, 11 June 2012

My First Auction Viewing


I’m off work today, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to do something I’d been meaning to do for absolutely ages and go to a viewing at an auction house. The viewings for this auction house are 2-4pm on Mondays, then the auction itself takes place on the Tuesday. I wasn’t really sure what I was doing, so when I got there I explained to the staff it was my first visit and they were quite helpful. The auction room was a lot smaller than I expected, with not a great deal of room to move. I think I was expecting more high-end stuff, but there was quite a good mix of objects.

I only saw a few things I was interested in – a vintage starburst clock like my nan used to have, a 1950s Doulton tea set and a wonderful collection of family photos. The photos were the lot I was most keen on, there was quite a variety of photos, from holiday and family snapshots, to studio portraits of soldiers from the First World War and a great deal of photographs of the family pets and children which were charming. I took the lot numbers and filled out a bid by proxy form as I wasn’t going to attend the auction itself (I knew I’d get carried away if I was there in person) and just put a low bid of £10 on each lot. The catalogue wasn’t ready yet so I didn’t know the estimates.

I don’t really expect to win the tea set or the clock, but I can’t see who else would bid on someone else’s family photos, so I’ve got high hopes for those. The auction house said they’d ring if I won any of the lots, so I’ll let you know how I get on. Wish me luck.

Are any of you auction regulars? I’d like to try going to an actual sale next, as long as I’m careful.

Nikki x


No comments:

Post a Comment