Saturday, 23 June 2012

Cruelty Free Beauty

At the moment, I'm trying to make the effort to wear more make-up. I don't often bother as I'd rather have the extra time in bed and I've struggled to find makeup that matches my pale skin, but I want to change that. I don't want to wear tons of makeup - just to have a good base and some 1950s eyes really, with a slick of lippy. Anyway, I've realised that although I've always been against animal testing, I tend to buy makeup on impulse, without really researching into brands to check which ones are ok. So I thought it was about time I did my research before I buy anything else. 


I found this quite difficult as many lists of cruelty-free brands conflict and contradict each other and some cruelty-free lists are not updated regularly to reflect changes in company policies or ingredients.  Another thing to take note of is that cruelty-free company may be owned by a non cruelty-free company (the Body Shop being owned by L'Oreal is one example), which means your money will still be going to a company who tests on animals.  Also, some brands that were cruelty-free have now decided to sell in China, which requires importers to test their products on animals. It can all get very frustrating and confusing.
  
I decided to go through the makeup I have to get rid of what I don't use and to see what I have that is cruelty-free. Looking at what I already own, there are quite a few brands that I won't be buying again - my Rimmel mascara and lipsticks will not be replaced, nor the Benefit and Bourjois eyeliners, nor the Miss Sporty nail Varnishes (as they are owned by Coty).

I have a fair amount of Sleek and Me Me Me eyeshadows, which luckily are fine for me to keep as both companies are cruelty-free, as are my Barry M products.

Also, I'm going to have to find makeup brushes that I know don't use animal hair. I don't use too many makeup brushes anyway, so I'll just buy a few new synthetic ones at some point and get rid of my old ones. This might seem a bit wasteful, but most of them are years old anyway and I could do with a clearout.

I'm going to keep a list of cruelty-free brands on me for when I do go makeup shopping, to make it easier. It'll be a fairly short list as I'll only be including ones I can afford :)

Here are a couple of websites I found useful in my research:
Cruelty Free Face - Great blog and a comprehensive Cruelty-Free List here
My Beauty Bunny - another fab blog, their Cruelty-Free list is here




Nikki x



No comments:

Post a Comment