Friday, 25 May 2012

In Praise of Polyester or Random Vintage Tip No. 2


Just a quick post to warn people who are thinking of wearing 1950s clothing – be prepared to iron! Those full skirts take forever to iron and the box pleats are a pain too. I’ve just done my ironing and I thought it would never end. I know quite a few people who love ironing and find it really therapeutic; unfortunately I can’t count myself in that camp.
 
So, if you hate ironing you should probably stick to the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s and be a Polyester Princess instead. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Polyester – my first vintage love was the 1970s, so I have a few polyester pieces in my wardrobe and they’re great – they dry super-quick, they don’t need to be ironed (can’t be in most cases or they’ll melt), they keep you warm and you can generate your own electricity if you layer up :). Also, Polyester is instantly identifiable as vintage and comes in so many colours and patterns. I prefer 1970s polyester as it makes no pretense about what it is – it’s thick and a bit coarse – lending itself well to the structured A-line skirts - whereas I always think 1980s Polyester is in denial and seems like it’s always trying to be another, more acceptable fabric – being lighter and floatier than 1970s Polyester and not at all structured.

Nikki x

No comments:

Post a Comment