Monday, 21 May 2012

A Treasure Hunting Trip

Today's my birthday, so the Photographer and I went on a bit of a jaunt...

We went up to Blackpool to check out the charity shops as we'd been told they were pretty good and neither of us had done them before. It was a beautiful sunny day and I gave my one of my new dresses from the Speke Vintage Fair it's first outing. I'm afraid there aren't any pictures of our trip as we forgot to take the camera. We didn't get much in the charity shops in Blackpool, in fact I'm not sure I got anything, but we did buy lots of Cinder Toffee and Peanut Brittle and had the obligatory Chips on the Front for our lunch. Being the hippy-dippy type I am, I was quite tempted to get my palm read (something I've never had done, although I have had Tarot readings before) but in the end I decided against it. We didn't go to the arcades or do any of the other tourist-y stuff though, just the charity shops.

Next we went on to Lytham St Annes, which we've been to in the last couple of years and I remember us doing quite well. I got a few things, including a vintage bag which I like but I'm not sure if I'll keep it, a big lilac wool blanket which will go on the sofa in the Winter and a few books. A got a couple of bits too, including some surfer shorts which he loves - the louder the shorts the better for him! We didn't spend too long there as we wanted to head onto one last place before going home.
Vintage Vinyl Bag by Weymouth American - £5.99
I think this is from the seventies, it's pretty sturdy and big but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit all my everyday stuff in it.

Lilac Wool Blanket - £4.99
I've been after one of these thick wool blankets for a while (for no particular reason) and as you can see it goes well with the turquoise-y throw we have on the sofa.

Buttons Annual
This is to sell - I had forgotten about Charlie Chalk! The Mister and I both remember having Charlie Chalk kids' meals in pubs with our families when we were young.
He-Man Ladybird
This is also to sell, I've got a few more Ladybirds from this series already. I remember having a She-Ra one when I was a kid, but I've yet to find any of the She-Ra ones.
The Magic Paintbrush Ladybird
I've also got quite a few of these Read it Yourself Ladybirds in my Stock Room. This one is matte and is probably from the 1970s and is in good condition.

Doddles by Agnes Adams
I bought this book because of the odd rainbow cover. It's from the 1920s I think.


Next, we drove on to Lytham, which I was quite looking forward to as I had a good feeling about one of the charity shops in particular and was hoping to get another picture for our collection.  No such luck, but we did get a Count Duckula Board Game. The Oxfam had some great vintage children's books, but they were a bit out of my budget (because essentially I'm a cheapskate). We had an iced drink at the Cafe Nero to cool down too as it was quite hot.
Count Duckula Board Game
We both love Count Duckula, but I think I'll probably sell this as I don't see it getting much use with us, so it's better going to another home.
The Story of Railways
Another Vintage Ladybird, this one is from the late 1970s/ early 80s and is a re-print of a 1961 title. The page illustrations are the same, but the cover is different to the 1961 version. The illustrations are gorgeous and you can tell they're from the early 60s because of the fashions. Here's a couple of examples:


"A modern first-class compartment"

The London Underground



We got home around 6pm then went to the pub (well, Wine Bar really) and got an Indian takeaway on the way home which was lovely.

All in all a great day, but I wish I'd found more treasure to spend my birthday money on!


Nikki x

No comments:

Post a Comment